Relationships begin with honest conversation; and conversations that build relationships share five common characteristics:
- Relationship-building conversations must begin with vulnerability
- Real conversations involve thoughtful questions from both sides, with a willingness to truly listen and understand the other point of view.
- Conversations that result in true relationships take time.
- In honest conversations, expect to be surprised.
- Those involved in relationship-building conversations should anticipate being changed by them.
Tolerance is nowhere to be found. Elected leaders are encouraging intolerance for the sake of "winning." I keep hearing them says that "all are welcome in this country"; but the rest of this statement is, "you are welcome only if you agree with me." This country was founded so that all could choose freely their religion, political party, career, and more. Now if you choose differently you are threatened, humiliated, bullied, harmed or worse so that you are silenced. Is that what Dr. King fought for? Where did it all go so wrong?
As we continue to erase and forget the history of our great nation, the lessons learned will be lost forever. When the time comes when we are forced to become alike - with no differences allowed - our humanity (compassion, brotherly love, fellowship, humaneness, kindness, kind-heartedness, consideration, understanding, sympathy, tolerance, goodness, good-heartedness, gentleness, leniency, mercy, mercifulness, pity, tenderness, benevolence, charity, & generosity will be gone too.
So what is it we are fighting so hard to win?